From NPR's Tavis Smiley Show, The Top Ten Signs It's Time to Mount a Hostile Takeover of Your Local School District.
According to civil rights lawyer Connie Rice, all of these incidents really happened:
10. they stop counting college-track kids because the low numbers create bad press.Laugh, cry and listen to the whole thing. Posted by Stefan Sharkansky at December 03, 2003 05:46 PM
9. the superintendent orders all school bulletins rewritten in 9th grade English because too many teachers can't understand 12th grade English.
8. the school announces an academic improvement celebration because the reading scores jumped from the 11th to the 14th percentile.
7. the school board, when facing a deficit of $3 million, refuses a grant of $4 million because they don't like the name of the funding statute.
6. the dropout rate is 65% and the district can't tell you where the kids went.
5. two-thirds of black male students are labelled "mentally retarded" and other learning disabled tags.
4. the teachers' union testifies against building new schools because the schedule for over-crowded schools cuts 17 days of classes for which teachers get paid anyway.
3. the school board lays off math and history teachers but fully funds the football team. (this was the same district with the $3 million hole in the budget, see #7)
2. the school district puts the football coach in charge of building a new $200 million high school that turns out to be sited on a toxic waste dump.
1. the teachers' union files a grievance against the Teacher of the Year because he stays at school after hours to tutor struggling kids