July 04, 2002
"It wasn't terrorism": Top Ten Explanations for the LAX El Al Shooting
The man who shot to death two people at the LAX El Al counter has now been identified as an Egyptian national. Oddly, the FBI still maintains that there is no indication that this was an act of terrorism.
Sooooo. let's review the facts. Arab shoots and kills people at Israeli airline counter. Terrorism is the first explanation that pops into my head. But okay, fair enough, what do I know, I'm not an FBI agent. So if it's not terrorism, there apparently is another logical explanation. My sources deep in the bowels of the FBI tell me that these are the Top Ten Explanations for the Shooting, Other Than Terrorism®
10. Love triangle.
9. Drug deal gone bad.
8. He was just cleaning his gun and it went off by mistake
7. He was upset because he was having a bad hair day.
6. Mental illness (perhaps in his own mind the gunman imagined he was committing terrorism, even though he wasn't committing terrorism in fact).
5. The guy meant to shoot up a different airline
4. He did it to impress Jodie Foster
3. He was frustrated with El Al's customer service
2. He misfired. He actually meant to shoot his gun into the air in celebration of the 4th of July, just as many Arabs like to shoot into the air to celebrate weddings, birthdays, suicide bombings and other festivities. It would be pure racism for the FBI to misjudge this man's culture and accuse him of terrorism just because he had lousy aim.
And the number one Explanation for the Shooting, Other Than Terrorism®
Posted by Stefan Sharkansky at July 04, 2002 11:55 PM
1. Even though he really intended to shoot and kill Israelis and other Jews, it wasn't terrorism, it was a martyrdom operation, caused by Israeli occupation of West Jerusalem.
You are great! May I circulate your top 10 explanations among my friends here in Melbourne ?
Argh... ye beat me to the punch with Blogger down! Avast, I die, matey... :)
From www.timesonline.co.uk :
"THE United States and Israel were split last night over whether the attack on an El Al check-in desk on Thursday was an act of terrorism or a random act of murder.
Local police said last night that they were still seeking a motive behind the killings at Los Angeles Internaitonal Airport."
Hmmm! I wonder whether the police ever discovered a "motive" for 9/11 ? Maybe we shouldn't be too quick to jump to conclusions there !!
when was the last time anyone got worried over a shooting in LA?
wasn't one of the people killed shot by the security guards (I've just returned from USA and confirm that they're all past retirement age)?
I'm just wandering around after seeing your account of the Barak protest...
2 points from gav? here goes...
I was awfully worried about the shooting in LA because I was checking in at the counter behind the El Al counter (Thai Airways). I heard the shots, and they still ring clear in my mind. Moreover, you don't forget the sight of ten thousand people running *away*.
The person shot by security was the gunman. good riddance.
and as a bonus, I missed my flight, but caught one the next day.
New comments may be posted only from the 'Comments' links at the bottom
of each entry on the blog home page
Okay - just a coincidence. He had a bad day, wanted to pop somebody, and his target just happened to have been one of THE PRIME TARGETS FOR MUSLIM TERRORISTS: Jewish (and Hindu) women of child-bearing age. Bonus points when (as in this case) the target is especially beautiful. Purely coincidental.